Thursday 23 July 2015

Eating in Pitch Black... treat yo self.

MY FIRST AMAZING DINNER IN BERLIN!
Have you ever heard of that thing where you go eat in a pitch black restaurant, can't see your hand in front of your face and wondering how you could ever possibly manage to eat food like that? Well that's what I did!

Ashley had me two other Aussie girls and said they were going to dinner at one of those restaurants where its pitch black and asked if I wanted to go.. I immediately said yes! The price was a pretty penny, but I thought holy crap who else would ever do this with me and when would I ever get the chance to do it! I also have mount Vesuvius growing on my forehead so I thought what a perfect coincidence that this is an option when I look like I'm growing a horn! She could have just been being nice and wanted to spare my feelings foe the stares I would have gotten from a normal food place. Either way, we got dressed and headed on our way!


outline of the dinner:
4 course meal
-appetizer
-starter
-main meal
-dessert


You choose from the menu of three options for dinner. Vegetarian. Meat. Surprise. I like to live dangerously so I chose the surprise meal, which you dont find out what it is until your done eating and your waiter (who,like all waiters that work, was blind)


We got there and sat in the outside dining area. Still in the light of day and they brought out our starter:
beautifully presented pot-sticker type thing on a bed of some sort of seaweed that had a sweet layer of sauce and then a little spot of some sort of yellowy sauce that was equally amazing and sprinkled over with a light cheese.
so first course amazing and led us into a night of delicious food.


Then we were led down these stairs into a dim lit room. Instructed to place your hand on the person in front of yous shoulder and the lights when off to which the man knocked on the door and another man appeared. Wolfgang, our waiter, who was indeed actually blind, led us to our table placed each of our hands on our chair and told us to sit and he would be right back with our drinks.


Drinks check.


Second course:
a scallop, perfectly prepared in a light peanut sauce laid on a bed of arugula with a leper marmalade dressing and cucumbers, with a side of a chip and some guacamole.


All food now becomes finger food. As I cannot see what I'm eating where my fork is going and what I'm picking up, I flash back in time and touch everything on my plate to try and guess what it is... Thank god no one can see my cause I'm pretty sure I looked like a homeless toddler...


Third course:
this was our main dish and as.it was brought out smelled amazing. Small potatoes cut up with rosemary, veal which was so tender and delicious, and a little pile of mushrooms that were in some sort of a sweet sauce. These meals were more extravagant than I'm explaining, but I'm but a simple peasant and now nothing of the words or ingredients that were on my plate.


Fourth course: DESSERT MY FAVE!
a freshly made strawberry ice cream with a cherry crisp cake and fresh blueberries... So good. The cake was very soft and delicious but with the too and edges perfectly crisp, so when you bite into it, you got that tad crunch and then soft delectable warm cake.


we kept joking that this is the best place to have a blind date, and giggled through our evening, relaxed at the fact that no one could see that we, or more like I, was by all means not 'sucking it in' you know what I mean ladies! With blind servers and pitch black, it was basically the best way to eat dinner.


it was an experience that I will never forget, that's for sure!



No comments:

Post a Comment